Creating an Ethical Culture
We looked at the important strategies and actions for creating an ethical culture. Creating an ethical culture within an organization or company is key; it is one thing to know about ethics, but entirely different to actually create an ethical culture. Several strategies are discussed in our text; these outline how to go about the process of creating an ethical culture. There are multiple ways, all of which are valid and important, but as the rule of effective presentations states, “you have to tell people what you are going to tell them, then tell them, then recap what you have told them.” In other words, reinforcement is key to understanding. In order to successfully create an ethical culture, multiple tools and messages should be used. This experience will help you to understand how and why using multiple strategies is important for creating an ethical culture.
To prepare for your assignment, read the following:
· Francis, R. D., Murfey, G. (2016). Global business ethics: Responsible decision making making in an international contextLinks to an external site. . Kogan Page.
· Chapter 8, “Ethical Gradualism, Culture, Quantification and Codes.”
You are an ethics consultant and just landed a consulting project for an organization. Your client has hired you to design a plan with recommendations to create an ethical corporate culture. For the purpose of this assignment, you can “work” with a company you’re interested in or familiar with. For instance, you can select the company you’re currently working at, a company you admire, or a company that you think could benefit from an ethical corporate culture makeover.
There are many practical applications of ethics and ways to foster an ethical culture. You have encountered several strategies found in the ebooks used in this course.
Follow these steps to complete the assignment. For all of these steps, make sure you provide examples and information from credible sources to support your writing and claims.
· Step 1: Analyze the components that make up an ethical corporate culture.
· Describe the components that constitute a company’s corporate culture:
· What are the company’s values?
· What are the company’s ideals?
· What are the company’s assumptions?
· Explains how all of these components work together to create a company’s ethical corporate culture.
· Step 2: Design a plan for creating an ethical corporate culture.
· Explain how you will go about designing a plan to help your client create an ethical corporate culture.
· Analyze the organization’s current corporate climate including its ethical culture.
· Describe the ethical behaviors demonstrated in this organization, such as their business practices. Also, include how people or the general public perceive the ethics of this organization based on the current corporate climate and business practices.
· Explain how you will know if people are adopting the new ethical corporate culture. For example, if you created an educational program, you might track the number of people who complete the program.
· Step 3: Recommend learning strategies to foster ethical corporate culture.
· Recommend 3–4 learning strategies for your selected organization that will foster ethical corporate culture, including how you will employ them to sensitize employees to ethical issues.
· Explain why your recommendations are appropriate and will provide the desired outcomes. Be sure to connect your rationale to the analysis of the organization’s current climate and ethical culture.
· Select three learning strategies that can be used to help support employees and explain why these are the appropriate strategies.
Your submission should meet the following requirements:
· Written communication: Write in complete sentences free from errors that detract from the overall message. Communicates in an exemplary and professional manner through clear, concise, well-organized, and grammatically correct writing.
· Font: Arial, 12 point.
· Page length: 4–5 pages.
By successfully completing this assignment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and scoring guide criteria:
· Competency 1: Evaluate the parameters for ethical decision making in 21st century multi-cultural business environments.
· Analyze the components that make up an ethical corporate culture.
· Design a plan for creating an ethical corporate culture.
· Recommend learning strategies to foster ethical corporate culture.
· Competency 4: Convey purpose, in an appropriate tone and style, incorporating supporting evidence and adhering to organizational, professional, and scholarly writing standards.
· Write in a well-organized and concise manner that adheres to the rules of grammar, usage, and mechanics.