This module contains a two-part Assignment. You will submit Part 1 in Week 7 and Part 2 in Week 8. For this two-part Assignment, you will first reflect on your personal and professional values and will define what it means to be an authentic, emotionally intelligent, and inclusive manager. In Part 2 of the Assignment, you will analyze how your values inform your managerial ethics, develop a personal code of ethics to guide decision making and behavior in a managerial role, and explore how you will use these ethics in influencing for positive social change.
For this week’s Assignment, you will assume the role of a manager in the following scenario:
You have been selected by your organization to participate in a peer mentoring group for managers. The group has had its first meeting, during which the group moderator (i.e., the master mentor) has stressed the importance of having a clear understanding of who you are as a manager, the principles you will use to guide your managerial decision making, and how you will use your influence as a manager to be an agent of positive social change. You and your fellow mentees have each been charged with identifying your core values and beliefs and have been asked to write up a summary of these beliefs and values, as well as what authenticity, equity, and inclusivity mean to you as a manager.
As you prepare your summary, be sure to cover all items outlined, including the incorporation of references to appropriate academic sources, such as those found in the Learning Resources or those in the Walden Library.
To prepare for this Assignment:
- Review this week’s Learning Resources, and consider:
- How you would define the concepts of “authenticity,” “equity,” and “inclusivity” as they relate to the role of a manager and
- What core beliefs and values have shaped you as a person.
BY DAY 7
Submit your 3- to 5-page summary, excluding references, being sure to address all components within each of the following sections:
Authenticity, Equity, and Inclusivity
- Analyze what authenticity means to you as it applies to the role of a manager.
- Examine what an inclusive and equitable workplace is, including a description of its features, as well as an analysis of its impact on employees and the organization as a whole. Be sure to include specific examples to support your analysis.
- Summarize the role of a manager in promoting an authentic, equitable, and inclusive workplace.
Core Beliefs and Values
- Analyze the key values, beliefs, and/or experiences that have shaped you and that guide your thinking and behavior.
- Explain how these values, beliefs, and/or experiences have influenced your workplace behavior in the past.
- Identify three specific instances where you have had to make ethical choices. For each instance:
- Describe the situation and the various courses of action you could have taken;
- Explain what you ultimately decided and why; and
- Explain whether you would make the same decision today.