Short answer questions – Module 6
Answer will be submitted on Blackboard
- Explain how blood plasma, interstitial fluid and lymph are all related. Be sure to explain the location of each, and which forces influence the formation of each.
- Hemostasis is an example of which kind of homeostatic mechanism? Be specific and justify your answer by providing a description of the process of hemostasis.
- What are the two main circuits of the cardiovascular system? For each circuit identify the general structures and the status of the blood found throughout that circuit.
- The autonomic nervous system (ANS) is most responsible for regulation of the cardiovascular system. For each subdivision of the ANS briefly describe how heart rate is affected when stimulated. Include detail about the pathways and neurotransmitters involved.
- For each of the following conditions identify an effect you would expect on stroke volume. If appropriate, assume that autonomic pathways can be activated. In one or two sentences explain your answer:
- Advanced blockage of the arteries by fat deposits (plaques)
- Dilation of cutaneous blood vessels to regulate body temperature on a hot day
- Ischemia (death) of cardiac muscle fibers of the left ventricle