While many factors determine policy and decision-making in federal agencies, one that is significant and often shared among them, is how they are organized and managed. Next week’s assignment asks you to evaluate a federal healthcare agency’s initial response to the Covid 19 pandemic. In this activity, you build a foundation to make that evaluation by researching the management structure of a federal healthcare agency of your choosing.
- Choose a federal healthcare agency that has had direct involvement in the Covid-19 pandemic response such as the National Institutes of Health (NIH), Centers for Disease Control (CDC), Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), Food and Drug Administration, U.S. Public Health Service, et cetera. Research the organization’s pandemic-related responsibilities and management structure. During your research, you may want to explore early public messaging disseminated by the agency as you will be asked to evaluate it in next week’s assignment.
- In this activity, you will draw an organization chart [Example of Health and Human Services Organization ChartLinks to an external site.] using MS Word, Visio, or another graphics program to create an infographic to paste into a Word document. If you are using Word:
- Open Microsoft Word.
- Click on the Insert tab located on the top-left side.
- Click on SmartArt and choose and modify a graphic of your choosing.
Think back to January 2020 when the United States reported its first Covid-19 infection. Federal (as well as local) public healthcare agencies scrambled to understand the virus and its possible impact on the population. The government’s response and information releases were at best uneven during the ensuing months. Each agency needed to provide messaging to inform and direct the public. Many were frustrated by the uneven messaging among these agencies. An initial step to a better understanding of policies and decision-making is to understand the organization making them.
Identify a federal healthcare agency that had a direct and significant role in the nation’s pandemic response and do the following:
- Describe 3 roles that the organization played in the pandemic response that capture its main responsibilities or contributions (1 page). Examples include areas such as:
- Information sharing or outreach.
- Response efforts.
- Medical assistance.
- Vaccine distribution.
- Draw a diagram that accurately depicts agency personnel/positions or departments that are directly related to pandemic policy and public outreach. Paste the diagram into your submission Word document with your answer from bullet point 1. Include a brief description of responsibilities for key areas or personnel in your chart.
This course requires the use of Strayer Writing Standards (SWS). The library is your home for SWS assistance, including citations and formatting. Please refer to the Library site for all support. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.