Final Project – Geology of a National Park
Write a paper about the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. Please highlight geologic facts about the region – rock types, geologic hazards, and geologic history.
Requirements: 2-3 pages, 12 point font, double spaced with 1 inch margins. Include one additional page for references.
This project is graded based on content (use of geologic vocabulary), style (less than 3 grammatical or spelling mistakes), organization and clarity (are the ideas, thoughts and principles expressed correctly). Your paper must be clear, concise, and in your own words (paraphrasing), absolutely no quotations and no plagiarism.
Focus – 5 points
- Controlled discussion of the geology.
Organization – 5 points
- Order is developed and sustained (see basic outline!)
Content – 5 points
- Presentation of ideas developed through facts, examples, explanations, and details. (Reference facts!)
Conventions – 5 points
Correct use of grammar, punctuation, mechanics, spelling, sentence formation.
Paragraph 1: INTRODUCTION (4 sentences)
- Introduce the national park à name, location, when was it deemed a federally protected land.
- Thesis (what is the purpose of this paper, what will you discuss – specify which geology topics and geo history)
Paragraph 2: Geology Highlight 1 (rock types?) (5-6 sentences)
Paragraph 3: Geology Highlight 2 (geologic hazards – faults, erosion, features, other) (5-6 sentences)
Paragraph 4: Geologic History (how did this region form?) (5-6 sentences)
Paragraph 5: CONCLUSION
- Summary of geology (2-3 sentences)
- Significance of protecting this region (why should / shouldn’t we?) (1-2 sentences)
- Closing statement (1 sentence)
Include REFERNCES on an additional Page